Senior Java Software Engineer (Aladdin Business)
- Not Specified
- New York, NY, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- 19 Feb 19
About BlackRock BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $5.98 trillion in assets on behalf
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $5.98 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
What is Aladdin?
The Aladdin® product unites the information, people, and technology needed to manage money in real time at every step in the investment process. Aladdin enables organizations to communicate better, work smarter, see clearer, and move faster in a changing landscape. Aladdin combines sophisticated risk analytics with comprehensive portfolio management, trading and operations tools on a single platform to power informed decision-making and create a connective tissue for thousands of users investing worldwide.
What is the Opportunity?
Within the Aladdin Business we are laser focused on delivering a next level client experience at scale to users across the Aladdin community. We build tools that empower our users, modernize the client support experience and streamline the way we run our business. We are passionate about using technology to drive scale in our business and delivering a superior user experience.
Individuals within the Product Services Engineering may follow one of two paths:
Product Services Engineering – Product Team
Product Team Engineers sit among our Product Marketing and Client Service teams, so they understand firsthand how our users leverage our tools, the questions they ask and the issues they face. They are responsible for translating that knowledge into impactful usability and functional enhancements, bug fixes big and small, and tools to scale support. Success in this role is measured by moving the needle on the level of input our users feel they have into the product lifecycle, their perception of our responsiveness to issues, and our team’s ability to support a growing user base.
Sample Responsibilities (Data Team)
- Deliver against prioritized, client-directed feature enhancements. Examples include:
- Addition of new fields to Aladdin’s inbound and outbound interfaces and reporting tools
- Construction of a workflow tool to facilitate the client resolution of data quality checks
- Drive user delight, eliminate inquiry and streamline implementations processes by improving usability in the data & interfaces toolkit. Examples include:
- Reinvent the user experience for client developers and technical project managers using Aladdin’s batch-based interfaces suite by building “try it out” interface samples for a variety of business specific workflows
- Creating client self-service tools for inbound and outbound interface creation and maintenance, incorporating user-triggered testing functionality and inbound data validation
- Rapidly address issues in the data & interface platforms identified & escalated through user inquiry
- Operate as part of the virtual Data product team, participating in all team meetings
Product Services Engineering – Scale & Experience Projects
Project Team Engineers work on products that modernize the client support experience, enable our people to their jobs better, and give us the information we need to run our business.
- Aladdin Metrics: Empower the business to leverage the usage and inquiry data available to drive more powerful engagements with our clients and to make smart decisions for our team.
- Design and maintain scalable data models and pipelines
- Develop reusable tools for the management and manipulation of data
- Analyze and improve efficiency, scalability, and stability of data collection, storage, and retrieval processes
- Partner to build out a scalable visualization platform
- Aladdin Business Portal: Deliver a centralized portal, that marries an individual’s to-do list with the workflows and context they need to do their job well. Partner with stakeholders to design a tool set that addresses key workflows for each team across our business.
- Build out of end points for underlying data sets
- Build out of a process management tool-set
- Build out of flexible GUI
- Aladdin Help: Create a centralized in-app hub for training and support resources available in every app within Aladdin.
- Integrate user satisfaction into the Aladdin Help workflow
- Create a user profile, including ‘recommended for you’ content
- Design and maintain Contact Us and My Inquiry screens
The Right Candidate for this Opportunity
- Is passionate about improving user experience, and wants to understand first-hand how our product is used every day, where it meets our users’ needs and where it does not
- Loves coding to solve problems big and small, and will stop at nothing to get the job done
- Is curious and loves learning new things to deliver an impactful solution for our users
- Recognizes that sometimes the least glamorous problems are the most impactful to solve
- Loves working on a team, and has strong communication skills
- Is excited to learn about both the business and technology sides of a fin-tech organization
- Background using Agile/JIRA workflows
- Financial knowledge and interest is strongly recommended
- Strong teamwork, communication skills and time management abilitie
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.<