Director of Information Security - Application Security Architect
- Chicago, IL, USA
- Permanent, Full time
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- 14 Dec 18
Director of Information Security - Application Security Architect
CME Group: Where Futures Are Made
CME Group (www.cmegroup.com) is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. But who we are goes deeper than that. Here, you can impact markets worldwide. Transform industries. And build a career shaping tomorrow. We invest in your success and you own it, all while working alongside a team of leading experts who inspire you in ways big and small. Joining our company gives you the opportunity to make a difference in global financial markets every day, whether you work on our industry-leading technology and risk management services, our benchmark products or in a corporate services area that helps us serve our customers better. With 2,500 employees located around the world, we're small enough for you and your contributions to be known. But big enough for your ideas to make an impact. The pace is dynamic, the work is unlike any other firm in the business, and the possibilities are endless. Problem solvers, difference makers, trailblazers. Those are our people. And we're looking for more.
The Director of Application Security Architecture will lead and manage all functions of the Application Security Architecture Team. The Director will oversee the team, both staff and contractors, and is responsible for the application architecture strategic roadmap. The role is accountable for operating the Application Security Architecture Program and acts as a business liaison with other business units of CME, and help facilitate demand management.
The Director will be a hands-on manager, requiring a high-level of technical expertise, to be able to develop solutions and mentor other staff and teams. They will provide application design support and guidance, in the form of consultation. They will automate as many components and task as possible, ensure that solutions integrate with operational processes such as monitoring and alerting, and will innovate and ensure that all applications are built and remain secure throughout the software development lifecycle. The Director must be able to drive change across the organization, and support the evolution of the organization to a Dev/Sec/Ops model.
As a leader on the Global Information Security Team (GIS), the incumbent is expected to remain engaged with and support other leaders across GIS and Technology to ensure the timely delivery of security and business solutions.
- Advisory: This role will actively lead the creation and updating of Standards and Reference Architectures. Standards may be required for CME Group to comply with regulations mandated by various regulatory bodies that provide oversight to CME Group business functions. Reference Architectures provide direction and guidance on proper compliance with define standards.
- Operational: This role will help forecast demand for Application Architecture services by meeting with CME business units to better understand their needs. This role will also help determine necessary resource levels to support those business units' needs.
- Financial: This role will make staffing recommendations for the GIS Application Security Architecture Team.
- Establishing and operating the Application Security Architecture Program, including: business processes, policies, standards, and prioritization of activities
- Communicate and collaborate with cross-functional peers outside of the Technology Division, including General Counsel, Records Retention, Global Assurance, Enterprise Risk Management, Third Party Risk Management, and other business unit leadership
- Work collaboratively with various CME Group teams including I&O, E&E, APM, Enterprise Risk Management and Compliance teams to establish Security Standards and Reference Architectures and actively participates in Communities of Practice to ensure effective adoption of security and continuous improved.
- Drive objectivity and build consensus among internal and external stakeholders with widely divergent perspectives and drivers. Interact with industry peers from other SIFMUs, research organizations, solution providers, etc.
- Participate in and contribute to key working groups across the enterprise, including but not limited to: Architecture Review Board and/or change advisory boards. Prepare reports for senior management including presentations, metrics, and other documentation required to support governance functions.
- Continuous improvement and maturation of the methods, instrumentation, training, documentation, and processes required to properly assess and govern application architecture and software development lifecycle.
- Strategic Visioning: manage security standards and reference architectures to ensure adequate security controls throughout CME Groups systems and technologies
- Management of the security road-map, and communicate securities vision to business partners and IT staff
- Actively participate in Communities of Practice to ensure effective adoption and continuous improvement of security efforts
- Act as an advocate for security and lead efforts to promote security awareness at all levels of the organizations
- Act as primary contact and respond to questions or actions related to software security audits
- Ensure that all risk considerations are identified and addressed with new and modified software
- Monitor and enhance secure coding standards within the Software Development Lifecyle
- Identify and establish core architectural mechanisms to enhance the security of software
- Support larger architectural projects while leading and managing internal projects
- Provide consultation on secure application design
A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related field; or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years of experience at director or manager level in publicly traded companies or finance/technology industry operations; OR minimum 7 years as a consultant to such companies at a commensurate level.
- Experience with or deep exposure to the financial industry, focused on clearing or trading
- Demonstrable knowledge of a broad range of Information Security technologies and practices
- Demonstrable, impeccable writing skills for technical, management, and executive audiences
- Demonstrable communication capabilities including oral presentation and ability to present in front of executive leadership
- Demonstrable experience coordinating multiple concurrent issues, in high-pressure situations
- 10+ years of application security analysis, design and application development OR demonstrated ability to meet job requirements through a comparable number of years of technical work experience
- Experience with scripting languages such as: Python, bash, Powershell, etc.
- Experience with drafting of standard, reference architecture, policies, procedures and implementation guidelines
- Extensive experience with the Build Security In Maturity Model (BSIMM) methodology and assessment process
- High understanding of entire development process, including specification, documentation and quality assurance
- High degree of understanding in the theories, methodologies and principals underlying secure technical analysis, design and implementation of software applications, systems, and databases
- Candidates must have proven ability to build value propositions, business cases, & drive results as part of a larger project or program team
- SSCP or other industry certifications are desirable. PMP is a plus.
- Relevant experience designing, implementing, and supporting large scale solutions
- Experience with Cryptographic Services
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Preferred: one or more certifications, including:
- Development languagesg (Java, .Net [C#, VB#], C++, GO)
- Scripting languages (Python, bash, Powershell, etc.)
- Middleware (Apache, Tomcat, WebSphere, etc.)