Senior Manager (Governance, Operations and Controls)
- Competitive plus negotiable benefits
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 19 Feb 19
The Governance, Operations and Controls Senior Manager is a key member of the Wealth and Asset Management Consulting team. The individual will work closely with the Partners and Directors from across KPMG to lead the delivery of advisory engagements to KPMG’s wealth and asset management clients
The Governance, Operations and Controls Senior Manager is a key member of the Wealth and Asset Management Consulting team. The individual will work closely with the Partners and Directors from across KPMG to lead the delivery of advisory engagements to KPMG’s wealth and asset management clients. Advice will focus on best practice across a range of areas including governance, investment operations, and control environments to ensure our clients have effective governance structures, policies, procedures and controls, which meet the expectations of investors, regulators and other key stakeholders. These projects can take different forms depending on the client’s needs, for example:
• Asset manager risk and control reviews – reviewing a firm’s front, middle and back office operations, identifying key risks and internal controls to assess whether they are suitably designed, and make recommendations based on our knowledge and experience.
• Operational due diligence – reviewing operational aspects of an asset manager, including hedge funds and private equity houses, on behalf of investors, platforms and/or part of transaction activity within the Asset Management sector. Areas covered include governance arrangements, trade life cycle, investment monitoring and oversight, risk and compliance arrangements, valuation arrangements, and business continuity planning / disaster recovery.
• Policies and procedures reviews – assisting firms with developing industry-leading policies and procedures. These cover a range of areas from the front to the back office and take into consideration the firm’s strategy, culture, risk appetite and regulatory.
• Governance reviews – assisting firms with a review of their internal governance structure.
The role also includes a significant business development component involving developing and leading on asset management campaigns, contributing to thought leadership, leading projects and coaching more junior members of the team. The team is based in Canary Wharf, London at KPMG’s UK headquarters, working at client’s offices in the City and West End for most projects. There is occasional overseas travel to Europe, US and Asia.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to:
• Lead a group of highly skilled technical specialists who advise a variety of asset managers in relation to front, middle and back office processes, risk and compliance arrangements, governance structures, and performance reporting
• Work in coordination with various teams across KPMG who specialise in Risk and Capital, Regulation, Transaction Services, Management Consulting, Strategy and Digital Innovation supporting them to identify, win and deliver engagements in relation to business process improvement, risk and regulatory compliance, controls assurance, target operating models and M&A activity within the asset management sector
• Develop and win new business through marketing and sales activities to new and existing clients, including participation in cross disciplinary high value risk propositions and go to market campaigns
• Deliver client engagements, leading both smaller and larger, multi-disciplinary teams
• Build and maintain strong relationships with clients, regulators, industry bodies and other KPMG teams
• Provide a high quality advisory service to our clients, and be a governance, investment operations and controls technical specialist to support other departments of KPMG
• Create and contribute to high quality thought leadership around areas of specialism for written publications, training events, client seminars and conferences
• Share knowledge and contributing to discussions with both junior members and senior management to build on existing internal capabilities to deliver operational risk related projects
• Take accountability for performing and complying with internal risk management procedures, budgeting, recording all working time, timely billing and recovery of client chargeable time.
• Be a performance manager for assistant managers and graduates, and provide on-the-job coaching to teams
• Maintain up to date knowledge in areas of specialism, keeping abreast of any pertinent developments and helping to develop thought leadership in operational risk and governance
• Marketing and raising the profile of KPMG in the market place through networking events, attendance at internal and external conferences, contributing to publications, etc.