Energy Management AccountantOverview
We are looking for a newly qualified management accountant to assist the portfolio finance manager manage Funds invested in energy generating assets valued in excess of £2.7Bn. The Funds are a mix of Octopus managed retail products (EIS, VCT, ITS), institutional fund LPs and project finance from a range of banks. They are invested in solar power parks, wind farms, gas fired generators (also called Reserve Power, RP) and biomass and landfill gas projects as well as anaerobic digestion systems (AD).
The role is a member of the Octopus Energy Asset Management (OEAM) team within the Octopus Energy Investments (OEI) department. The underlying investments, in c.300 energy generating companies, are managed by specialist teams within OEAM who focus on driving performance from the underlying assets and manage the finances at SPV level. The Energy Management Accountant, who forms part of the Portfolio Management team, reports to the Finance Manager and assists in the delivery of the Fund level accounting and cash management, for all clients of OEAM with a particular focus on institutional funds.
The management accountant will support several aspects of portfolio management for all clients of OEAM with an emphasis on financial management, reporting, controls and process improvement/automation. He/she will support fundraising as well as the acquisition and divestment of assets for the various funds.
Financial management of the funds
- Fund accounting, assist with month-end journal postings for the Fund monthly reporting.
Including the posting of institutional and Holdco level invoices through the team's procurement system. Liaise with Group Treasury to ensure payments are made.
- Fund forecasting
- Assist with the management of all distributions and capital movements
- Support development of financial policies, budgets and audit processes for underlying investments, working closely with the operational teams on delivery
- Support the quarterly portfolio valuations process, working closely with the operational teams on delivery and owning the final reports
- Assist with annual audits across the portfolio and SPV teams including the management of the OEAM relationship with audit/tax compliance providers
- Responding to investor questions or concerns related to finances within the Energy portfolio
- Ensuring reports and financial information are relevant, accurate, and timely and continually improve
- Support any client related initiatives
- Oversee the financial onboarding of new Funds and Assets
- Support transaction due diligence as needed
- Support any pre or post acquisition restructurings that may be needed
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated individual, ideally recently CA qualified. They need to be exceptionally well organised, plan ahead, hardworking and comfortable delivering accurate information to tight deadlines. His/her role is to deliver the month-end processing for the Fund level Holdco's along with ad hoc project and onboarding assistance as necessary. Strong Microsoft Excel skills a plus. He/she will be passionate about detail, digging into information received and taking accountability for the accuracy and quality of their reports. They will thrive in fast moving and growing business - continually improving the systems, processes and the quality of deliverables and be comfortable owning the quality and accuracy of their work.