Vice President, Financial Crime Compliance, Mumbai
- As per norms
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Permanent, Full time
- 22 Mar 19
About BlackRock BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2018, the firm managed approximately $5.98 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
BlackRock's Global Compliance Department protects BlackRock’s reputation and provides advice to the business focused on ensuring the protection of our client’s best interests. The department is a dynamic environment with the team focused on understanding evolving business strategy, challenging and advising on the impact of regulation in our business, with the objective of:
- Actively participating in business decisions to champion our clients’ interests and assist the business in translating Compliance into their daily work and decision making;
- Putting client interests at the center of everything we do;
- Cultivating and enhancing BlackRock’s compliance culture;
- Providing thought leadership on the impact and implementation of regulation to our business and to the market; and
- Developing and fostering excellence within the Compliance team.
The firm is seeking an individual to be part of the Global Financial Crime Team based in Mumbai, responsible for the driving and executing strategic priorities as it relates to Financial Crime Alternative compliance initiatives. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate knowledge of, and experience in, asset management, alternative products and financial crime risks.
- Partner with key stakeholders including business, operations, risk management, legal and compliance to conduct due diligence on transactions and associated parties in the Alternatives business (e.g., Private Equity, Hedge Fund of Funds, Real Estate, Infrastructure, etc.)
- Leverage due diligence efforts to render conclusions on the risk posed by complex alternative private transactions and associated parties, including by assessing various information sources and negative media alerts from client screenings
- Ensure the active identification, response and/or escalation of risks as appropriate
- Act as trusted advisor to Legal and Compliance leads for the Alternatives business on compliance program developments, key strategic initiatives and proposed transactions
- Work with the global team to build out and implement a monitoring and testing program for Alternative transactions
- Continuously review and enhance policies and procedures to ensure they are fit for purpose and up to date
- Build strong alliances with counter parties within the global financial crime team and work with them to leverage capabilities and skills in order to mitigate financial crime risks;
- Create, manage and deliver ad hoc financial crime training and awareness sessions including tailored face to face training;
- Perform documentation reviews on investors and transactions in the Alternative Business
- Periodically conduct in-depth investigations related to an alternative private transaction
- Ensure robust collection, organization, and evaluation of data relevant to the Alternative private transaction process
- Undertake governance and management reporting
- Work within a global team and communicate effectively to members of that team
- The successful candidate should have 10+ years of experience in Financial Crime Compliance risk management at other financial institutions or consulting firms
- The successful candidate should also have ideally also have experience in an alternative business (e.g., Private Equity, Private Credit, Hedge Fund of Funds, Real Estate, Infrastructure, distressed debt, etc.)
- Have a proactive approach to business issues, identifying areas of improvement & enhancement including the automation of processes
- Knowledge of one or more of the following financial crime areas of AML, Sanctions, Fraud and Anti-Bribery and Corruption is a plus
- Experience in Financial Crime compliance in a regulated financial services company
- Demonstrated ability to assess, question and challenge transaction structures
- Software skills, such as 12 mapping, are a plus
- Strong governance and document management skills
- Proven ability to work as part of a global team as well as independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication, judgment and business partnership skills. Asian language skills are an advantage
- Proactive, self-motivated and with excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize workloads and adhere to deadlines
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.