Ops Specialist, Line - Secured Financing - Associate
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 20 Aug 17
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Operations division is both the first line of defence for protecting Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being, and an essential partner contributing to the firm's growth. Facing off to all Morgan Stanley businesses and interacting with all other parts of the Firm, the Operations division supports a complex, multi-faceted portfolio of businesses in full compliance with regulatory guidelines and the directives of the Operating Committee and Board of Directors. Members of the Operations team have a unique vantage point as the division touches all parts of the business, front to back. One of the largest divisions in the firm, Operations has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, we continually strive to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
Secured Financing Operations resides in London within ISG Operations. The group is primarily responsible for the financing / funding and optimisation of the Firms inventory. Financing Operations is a department of 17 people with the group is split into 4 main areas:-
1. Equity Financing (5 FTE)
2. Fixed Income Financing (6 FTE)
3. Structured Financing and Clearing (3 FTE).
4. Projects / Management (3 FTE)
The Equity Financing group is responsible for the daily management and financing of the $55bn European Equity inventory. The Fixed Income book supports the $40bn FID inventory in addition to the recently rolled out Uncleared Margin Wave I regulation. The structured team is responsible for more bespoke complex transactions, the efficient optimisation of collateral to cover the Firms centrally cleared margin (initial and variation) margin obligations, and some regulatory reporting responsibilities. There is close interaction with the BRM (Bank Resource Management) financing desk, together this partnership drives towards achieving collateral optimisation and efficiency as well as meeting regulatory reporting and funding goals.
The current vacancy resides within the Equity Funding team at an associate level whose primary responsibilities include:-
- Daily collateralisation of the Equity Triparty and bilateral funding obligations.
- Managing collateral efficiency and optimisation. LCR & HQLA ratios.
- Processing lifecycle events for secured funding and securities lending transactions.
- Regression testing, feedback, and suggestion of business process improvements for new International Equity platform (T3C).
- Integration of collateral transportation flows and the Optimisation engine into T3C.
- Interacting with the BRM desks, both on day-to-day tasks and answering any ad-hoc trade related questions and new process flows and booking structures.
- Building and maintaining a strong network with all internal Operations clients – such as Cash Management, Position Services, and Settlements. Interacting with other internal support areas such as BRM, Finance, Credit and Technology.
- Develop effective working relationships with external triparty agents (BoNY, and JPMC) ensuring all parties are engaged on delivering collateral optimisation gains.
- Identification and escalation of control-related issues, develop procedures/solutions to close gaps. Implement business process improvements through LEAN initiatives to enhance the efficiency of the tasks while minimising risk.
Qualifications / Skills Required:-
- Previous Cash Equity product and Repo experience preferred. Would expect that likely candidate may have developed the necessary competencies in a similar role over a 3-5 year period.
- Financing knowledge:- Bilateral and Triparty financing, working with triparty agents.
- Strong communication skills:- can build internal and external relationships, able to articulate key messages succinctly and effectively.
- Degree educated (2:1 or equivalent). Ability to pick up new tasks and functions quickly and work independently.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.