Client & Performance Reporting Director
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 18 Aug 17
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Operations division is both the first line of defence for protecting Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being, and an essential partner contributing to the firm's growth. Facing off to all Morgan Stanley businesses and interacting with all other parts of the Firm, the Operations division supports a complex, multi-faceted portfolio of businesses in full compliance with regulatory guidelines and the directives of the Operating Committee and Board of Directors.
Members of the Operations team have a unique vantage point as the division touches all parts of the business, front to back. One of the largest divisions in the firm, Operations has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, we continually strive to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
Morgan Stanley Wealth and Investment Management Operations (MSWIM) is a global organization, operating in 23 cities across 11 countries in support of two distinct businesses: Global Wealth Management (GWM) and Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM). MSIM is one of the largest global asset management organizations with approximately $338 Billion in assets under management or supervision as of December 31, 2012. GWM is recognized as one of the industry’s premier global wealth management firms with total. GWM is recognized as one of the industry’s premier global wealth management firms with client assets of over $1.7 trillion and approximately 16,700 global representatives as of 2012 year end.
We currently have an opportunity for a Director within the Client & Performance Reporting team, which consist of 14 FTE in Glasgow and is responsible for managing the reconciliation of Positions and Balances and Corporate Actions on client accounts, managing all security referential data and ensuring these accurately reflect Morgan Stanley’s records for Client and performance reporting purposes. The primary responsibilities of the WM Operations role include the management and supervision of the following tasks:
- Control and oversight of the daily exception management in line with the Written Supervisory Procedures, working to tight deadlines
- Maintaining responsibility for risk management within the team through daily supervision of checklists, timely escalation and utilizing key risk management tools including KRIs and KPIs
- Ensure all Written Supervisory and desktop procedures are up to date, carrying out regular reviews to ensure they accurately capture the work performed by the team
- Ownership and delivery of the teams CTB and RTB initiatives, working closely with Stakeholders in other locations
- Produce monthly management reporting information for WM Ops Managements and other key stakeholders
- Maintaining, developing and improving current processes & procedures. Supporting the Sales desks through NPAs, system enhancements and regulatory or compliance queries
- Drive small projects to improve process efficiency
- Manage and mentor the team’s junior staff
This is not exhaustive and tasks and responsibility changes are frequent in order to maintain our high level of service provided to our business partners. The candidate should expect to build an intricate knowledge of the team’s role in WM Client Reporting, the ultra-high net worth WM business and the systems, processes and controls that are utilised by the team.
The ideal candidate may have:-
- The ability to effectively prioritise a high volume of work in a real-time environment, and manage expectations effectively
- Good risk awareness and escalation skills at a senior level, able to elicit effective escalation and communication with peers
- Proven track record of managing people through mentoring, coaching and developing individuals
- Able to review and enhance or develop a suite of controls to maintain and improve the teams processing accuracy
- Strong leadership skills and desire to build consensus within the team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to manage conversations at a senior level
- Focus on guardianship, ensuring that issues are identified, escalated, resolved and reported on a timely basis
- Team Player who actively promotes sharing of knowledge to deliver high client service levels
- Meticulous attention to detail as accuracy is essential
- Proficient in Excel (e.g. formulas, pivot tables)
- Ability to support and initiate where possible RTB and CTB projects
Diversified financial services product knowledge - understanding of equities, fixed income, mutual funds and alternative investments in particular
- Working knowledge or experience of back office operations including reconciliations, product setup and client performance reporting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.*LI-AM1