Finance - Investment Banking Controller, Associate (Hong Kong)
- Hong Kong
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 19 Aug 17
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Financial Control Group (FCG) is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators. For internal reporting FCG, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarizes, plans and forecasts the organization?s financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. FCG is comprised of Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Review.
A global leader in investment banking, Morgan Stanley consistently ranks among the top firms in M&A, equity underwriting and debt financing. Our Investment Banking Division offers first class financial advisory and capital-raising services to corporations, organizations and governments around the world.
Headquartered in Hong Kong, the Asia Pacific Investment Banking Controllers team is responsible for the guardianship of the Firm's accounting records and services to our Investment Banking (IB) and Global Capital Markets (GCM) business units with emphasis on Financial Accounting and Management Reporting.
The team currently seeks an Associate to provide financial and management reporting coverage and support to our regional IB and GCM business units. This is an exciting entry level position into Investment Banking/Global Capital Markets and provides the opportunity to develop a career in the Finance division supporting the Primary businesses. As a member of a close-knit team of 6 professionals in Hong Kong you will work as part of a large and well organized Finance Department in the region along with interaction with the Global Investment Banking Controllers.
Based in Hong Kong, you will be expected to assist experienced financial controllers in covering the Asian region (ex-Japan). You will report to senior management within Asia Pacific IB Controllers team (also based in Hong Kong) and gain exposure to direct interaction with investment/capital market bankers across the region and numerous high profile capital market transactions while undertaking the following key responsibilities:
• New deal administration - job code setup, invoice preparation, confirmation of compliance docs
• Managing front to back reconciliation process and risk controls
• Producing daily P/L and attribution analysis
• P/L & B/S management (i.e. GL entries, P/L recon & B/S review)
• Management of deal pipeline and updates
• Liaise with other product controllers for revenue & expense queries
• Preparation of various daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly financial reports to the business unit and FCG management
• Ad-hoc queries, revenue or expense reporting and projects*LI-SC2
• Bachelor Degree (Finance/Business related degree preferred)
• 2 or more years of product control experience preferred
• Practical knowledge of finance products, accounting concepts and processes
• Strong controls awareness and understanding
• Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office, and/or other relevant applications
• Strong numeracy and analytical skills, experience in reporting of large volume of data
• Strong communication skills in both written and spoken English and Chinese
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to work well and accurately under pressure and meet deadlines
• Some exposure to change, managing and delivering projects
• Strong organizational skills to effectively management wide ranging requests
• Good team player